Amazon

Thursday, December 8, 2011

# recipes

Warm Soup for a Cold Day

We have had cold weather here in Texas for the last week. For us this cold weather is hard when you go from 70s to 30s in a short period of time. Texas doesn't give you the luxury like the north to change seasons gracefully. I had this butternut squash in the fridge and have been deciding how to use it. I usually just bake it and than serve it with some butter but I wanted something different this time.

So I went to work making a butternut squash soup. It was really easy and I thought it was good. I used a basic recipe I found off the internet and well I always make it my own.

I used one butternut squash that I peeled and cubed (I used my vegetable peeler to peel it and it went super fast).

While I was cutting up the squash, I had chopped up some onions and put them in the stock pan to sweat with some butter. When they were done and the squash was all chopped up, I tossed it all together and added one carton (32 oz) of chicken stock. You could also use vegetable stock. I let the soup simmer for about a good 45 minutes or until the squash was soft enough and almost falling apart. I than but the squash in the blender and pureed it. I added it back into the stock and added about a 1/2 cup of milk to give it some creaminess. I let it simmer another 15 minutes or so. 

I served it with a cheddar bacon biscuit and topped the soup off with  dollop of fat free sour cream (still on WW so the extra fat isn't needed). It was a good soup that was both sweet and savory I put some pepper on mine because I always like some on my squash.  The kids well they were okay with it. If I make it again, I would add chopped bacon in with the onions to give it some more body. 

Let me know if you try it and what you think. 


No comments:

Post a Comment