Amazon

Thursday, May 24, 2012

# recipes

Greek Inspired Chicken Pita Sandwiches

I love a good sandwich. For me it can be a complete meal which you just pop in your mouth. I love pitas and picked some up the other day at the grocery store. So I thought what could I make and bingo Chicken pita sandwiches were born.

I took thin sliced chicken breasts (about a punt and half) and marinated them in a lemon pepper marinade all day. I used one of those thirty minute ones or you could totally make your own. I than grilled the chicken on the grill as well as the pitas.

I took some plain greek yogurt which was actually hard to find among all of the nine million varieties of greek yogurt out there. I remember the days when you easily spotted the plain. I cut up a cumber into small pieces and added that and the yogurt to a bowl I also added about a 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt and mixed it up. I did let it sit for like 15 minutes to get all the flavors together.

I served the chicken pitas with the yogurt sauce and some sliced tomatoes. Sliced onions would be good but they don't like me very much so I passed. I served the pitas with some rice pilaf and browned new potatoes which are very Greek inspired.

For the rice pilaf, which I always make from stretch, I took 1.5 cups of ater and 1 tablespoon of chicken bouillon. I than brought that to a boil and added 1.5 cups of instant rice. As the water was boiling, I browned some spaghetti noodles which I broke apart and browned with some butter. When they were done I added it all to the sauce pan with the rice. Stirred together and let it sit covered for about 15 minutes to let the noodles soften. My pilaf stayed warm but if your doesn't just stick it in the microwave for a minute.

I had left over chicken so I made some chicken salad out of it. So now I have lunch today as well. I always tend to make more chicken than we need so I can make chicken salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment