Amazon

Thursday, September 13, 2012

# Freezer Stretch Challenge

Freezer Stretch Day 11

Well I had to go to the grocery store to buy things like milk, eggs, butter and well about 45 minutes and 150 bucks later the cart was full. To my admittance I bought beer, lime ritas (oh my these are sooo good) and the grocery store had a special where if you bought certain products you got a free book plus the books were a buck a piece with a coupon making them 90 cents. They had great books for both Halloween and Christmas so that was why I bought about 20 of them all together. The two people working there also helped me pick out a bunch too.

I also bought other things were low on that were on sale like the pasta salad you make and I admit to some meats as well like a package of queso poblano chicken sausage which is my favorite. When I got home, I went through the freezer again and organized it some plus I notice the outside one is slowly going down but I still have like a good two weeks of food in there so I hope I won't have to go until than again.

It got me thinking as to what I could make for dinner tonight and I decided after seeing it on Pinterest Spanakopita  which sounded so good. I had most everything int he freezer to make this like filo dough, spinach, ricotta cheese, eggs, and butter. The only thing I didn't have was some feta which I bought but honestly if I hadn't gone to the store, I could have made do with the ricotta cheese.

I took the bag of frozen spinach and thawed it out as well as the filo dough. I than squeezed all of the excess water out of the spinach and put that, two beaten eggs, 1/2 cup of ricotta, and whole container of feta into the bowl as well. I mixed it all up. I than melted about a stick of butter as well but don't add that in.

I sprayed my dish with cooking spray ad began layering the filo dough, some butter, spinach mix and kept doing that like a lasagna (I used a few sheets of filo each time because of how thin it is). I would say I did about three layers and topped it with filo and some butter. I than backed it in the oven at 350 about 40 minutes or until it was crispy and lightly browned on the top. I served it with a nice greek inspired salad which was some chopped greens, homemade greek dressing (took olive oil and greek seasoning mixed together). and some sliced tomatoes. It was a good and light meal for the day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment