Amazon

Friday, March 1, 2013

# recipes

Spinach Pie or Spanakopita

The kids have been asking for me to make that spinach dish with the filo. Yeah I know it sounds weird my kids eat spinach but they grew up on it so they have learned to like it. I notice any kid who doesn't eat it usually has a parent who doesn't like it.

I had parents that liked it so we ate it quite a bit plus we ate a lot of Greek as we were growing up. I think it reminded my Mom of her Armenian roots because a lot of the foods are similar in what they use. I use to get Spanakopita when we would go the greek restaurants and for some reason in the Milwaukee there were many of them from nice sit down to fast food. Usually the sit down ones were more family restaurant with a wide variety of foods. My brother always liked to get stir fry or stuffed peppers. We were not picky kids at all.

So when they asked of course I am going to make it for them. I have used a recipe before for it but once you know it and of course I tweak it as my own.

I used 1 sleeve of Filo Dough (found in the freezer department by pie crusts usually).
2 boxes of frozen spinach defrosted
1 container of crumbled feta cheese
2 eggs beaten
1 cup of melted butter

yep that is all it is!

I drained the spinach and squeezed out the excess water. I kept doing this till it was pretty compressed.

I took the Spinach, beaten eggs, and feta and mixed them all together in a big bowl.

I sprayed a glass pyrex dish (10x15 size) with some cooking spray and than started layering the filo (2 sheets0, some melted butter to coat, and some of the mix. I did this for about three to four layers. I than topped the last two sheets and coated with melted butter.

I baked it at 350 for about 30 minutes or until the top filo starts to brown up. I sliced it up and served it with some spinach and feta flavored pita that I warmed up.

The kids loved it and we ate it all up!




No comments:

Post a Comment